As part of: Warhammer Fest 2017.
Exact date to be confirmed. Venue to be confirmed (Note: event is listed in May 28th just for calendar convenience in volomir.com)
The climax of the 2016-2017 Golden Demon season is, of course, the Golden Demon Classic event in May, held at Warhammer Fest, the annual celebration of the hobby, where hundreds of folk gather to get all the latest news and see some great displays.
The competition is open to all who purchase a ticket to the Sunday of Warhammer Fest in May. Have a read of the guidelines and the category list below and make a start on your entry. Glory awaits!
- All models entered must have been produced by Games Workshop (that is, Citadel Miniatures or Forge World).
- Models may be mounted either on a gaming base or a suitable display base of appropriate size.
- Models must be entered on the day, by the person who painted them. Nobody else can hand your model in for you.
- Each entrant may enter each category once.
- Each entry must have an entry form filled out which is handed in at registration. Download the form below or get one at the event itself.
Golden Demon: Classic Category List
- Warhammer 40,000 Single Miniature Any single human-sized Warhammer 40,000 miniature mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base. This category includes Terminators but other models supplied with 40mm and larger bases should be entered in the Warhammer 40,000 Large Model category. Models on larger bases should be entered into another category. Note that bike-mounted character models must be entered in the Vehicle category. Single miniatures from Forge World s Imperial Armour and Horus Heresy ranges may be entered in this category.
- Warhammer 40,000 Squad This category is for Warhammer 40,000 squads or squadrons of five or more models. This is also the category for Epic 40,000 detachments and includes gangs and mobs from Necromunda. All squads must be legal in game terms. Judges will be looking for units that best exemplify the qualities and character of the army they represent. This category DOES include squadrons of bike-mounted models provided they are organised into a unit of five or more models. Larger vehicle models should be entered into Category 3. All models should be mounted on an appropriately sized base. Units or squads of models from Forge World s Imperial Armour and Horus Heresy ranges may be entered into this category.
- Warhammer 40,000 Vehicle This category is open to single Warhammer 40,000 vehicles, Dreadnoughts and walker models. It also covers single bike-mounted characters if this is appropriate to the army in question (eg, a Space Marine Captain on a bike). Battlefleet Gothic spaceships can be entered into this category as well. Although most of these models tend not to be supplied with a base, it is quite acceptable for you to mount the vehicle on an appropriately sized base. Vehicles from Forge World’s Imperial Armour and Horus Heresy ranges may be entered in this category. Models should be mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base. Models on large scenic bases should be entered in the Diorama category instead.
- Warhammer 40,000 Large Model
This category is for any single large Warhammer 40,000 model mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base. This covers models like the Avatar, Ogryns, large Tyranids, Ork Warbosses, etc. Monstrous creatures from Forge World’s Imperial Armour and Horus Heresy ranges may be entered in this category.
- Warhammer Single Miniature This is open to any single human-sized Warhammer miniature (Warhammer, Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Mordheim and Blood Bowl). This includes single models on horses, boars or wolves, but not those mounted on large monsters. All models must be presented on an appropriately sized base.
- Warhammer Fantasy Unit This is for Warhammer regiments, Warhammer Age of Sigmar units, Mordheim warbands, Warmaster brigades and Blood Bowl teams. The entry must consist of a minimum of five models mounted on their standard gaming bases. Regiments must be legal units in game terms. The judges will be looking for units that best exemplify the qualities and character of the army they represent.
- Warhammer Large Model This category is open to all Warhammer large models and other really large monster models! This covers Dragons, chariots, war machines and all large ridden monsters (eg, an Orc Warlord on War Wyvern). Models should be mounted on an appropriately sized base. Models on large scenic bases should be entered in the Diorama category instead.
- Diorama Entries for this category consist of a diorama based on the worlds of Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000 or The Lord of The Rings™ and The Hobbit™ . The display must not be larger than 30cm x 30cm and the maximum permitted height is 30cm. The subject of the diorama should be appropriate to the background of Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000 or The Lord of The Rings™ and The Hobbit™ , but otherwise there are no restrictions on the battle scene’s theme or content.
- Duel This category comprises two single models mounted on a base no more than 50mm in width. The judges will be looking for a dynamic pairing of two well-matched opponents in some kind of combat or other dramatic situation. Models may be from the Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Warhammer 40,000 or The Lord of The Rings™ and The Hobbit™.
- The Lord of The Rings™ and The Hobbit™ This is open to any single miniature from The Lord of The Rings™ and The Hobbit™ ranges of models.
Other Competitions at this event
- Youngbloods The Young Bloods painting competition is open to any competitors aged 15 years or under. Entries may consist of any single human-sized Citadel miniature from Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000, Mordheim, Necromunda, Blood Bowl or The Lord of The Rings™ and The Hobbit™.
- The Open Competition for dioramas, battle scenes, larger scale miniatures and all other models not covered by the categories above. Also for participants who wish to enter a second model that would otherwise be covered by a category they have already entered. This is the only category that Games Workshop staff may enter.
Prizes being awarded at this event
- Golden Demon Finalist Pins for every entry which makes it through the first cut of judging.
- Bronze Demon to the entrants which come third in their category.
- Silver Demon to the entrants which come second in their category.
- Golden Demon to the entrants who come first in their category.
- Youngbloods: Gold, Silver and Bronze to the entrants from the Youngbloods category who come first, second and third respectively
- Open Competition: Gold, Silver and Bronze to the entrants from the Open Competition who come first, second and third respectively.
- Forge World Best in Show: to the entry deemed to be the best in show, selected from the models specifically produced by Forge World.
- Slayer Sword to the entry from the Golden Demon categories judges to be the overall Best in Show.
This year the second ‘Warcrow’ contest will be held, a painting contest that aspires to become a world referent in the miniature painting community.
We will have a jury comprised of painters of renown, special prizes, and sponsorship by the best brands.
Do you want a “Crow,” the trophy that only the best can fight for?
· Small individual miniature.
· Large individual miniatures.
· Dioramas. Two or more miniatures on a scenery element.
· Coverted Figure.Unpainted work will be accepted but a minimal presentation will be positively valued (grey priming). Those works must always start from a Corvus Belli Infinity miniature.
· Platoon. A group of at least three miniatures from the same army.
· Specialist Crow. The same miniature for all the contestants, chosen by the organization. This year’s miniature will be the new FAT YUAN YUAN.